Sunday, August 26, 2007

Happy results from the new carder.

I've been saving some "what if" projects for the relatively new carder and finally have results.

The first one was to blend a multi-colored (blues and greens) perendale batt. I took a picture of the pile of colors, but the picture got deleted before it made it to the computer.
I do have the blended batts though


and the resulting tweed fiber. I like the tweed effect and plan to purposely dye different shades to get this result again.

And a lingering problem . . . how to card cormo without neps. I finally found a technique I can be satisfied with. The washed cormo is fed directly onto the drum, stretching out each of those kinky, curly locks.


Neps cannot be detected in the resulting fiber (fingering weight) without very close scrutiny.


I am working on some other carder projects, but no pictures yet.
Next time.

2 comments:

Vicki said...

That Cormo batt looks like perfection! And, I recognize that Perendale. Someday I'm going to have to figure out what to do with all my little workshop samples. Certainly like how yours are turning out!

Melanie said...

Oooh, I really like the fabric from the blue/green heather yarn. Thanks so much for the tip on carding the Cormo. I have recently had some Cormo woes, so I'll try a direct feed next time.